Skip to main content

Onaje Allan Gumbs: When I Reminisce About You


     April 6 2020, at the height of the Coronavirus pandemic, the universe and the jazz community lost a brilliant musician, composer, arranger, songwriter and pianist.  Onaje Allan Gumbs is his name.  Eight days later Onaje's wife Sandra Wright Gumbs would pass away.  On April 6th 2020 I lost a friend on my birthday.  The following three years I have lost several family members like so many of us.  It has all been bittersweet for me.   In 1998 I became a cable access producer and began producing shows on Bronxnet Television Cable 68 until 2001.  I left New York in 2001 and returned in 2003 for about a year.  I left New York for good in 2004 and relocated to North Carolina.  Onaje and I met during this time of transition.  

 One of my shows, The LW Experience focused on the Hip Hop culture in the Bronx.  The LW Experience showcased local community hip hop artists as well as interviewing local authors and highlighting neighborhood businesses.  There were so many talented youth and young adults in the community that were featured on the show.  One day after shooting a segment for the show I was vibing with this young man  MC Black, a dope ass hip hop artist and lyrcist.  He mentioned that he was going over to his uncles house, Onaje Allan Gumbs.  

I did a double take and said who?  I wasn't quite sure I heard him correctly, but I knew I did.  I just needed to hear it again.  I said "who"?  He began smiling and said it again all in one breath.  I'm going over to see my uncle Onaje Allan Gumbs".  I said " Onaje Allan Gumbs is your uncle"?, and he lives here in Coop City?  He was cheesing and said "yep".  I immediately asked him if I could meet his uncle one day, he replied with a definite Yes.  I had convinced him to introduce me to his uncle because I wanted to interview him.  I told him that I was now hosting a radio program at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro UNCG, WUAG 103.1 FM.  

Street Naming of Onaje Allan Gumbs - Coop City, The Bronx

It all worked out and Onaje and I had spoken on the phone a few times and then he agreed to meet me.  I was ecstatic to say the least.  My older siblings introduced me to many of the jazz artists and many of the classics at that time.  Onaje's name is synonymous with artists such as: Norman Connors, Lisa Fischer, Angela Bofill, Herbie Hancock, and many many others.  Onaje has collaborated, composed and arranged for many of these artists. We both lived in the same community and the day we met it was sunny and bright.  We both were excited and I was full of enthusiasm to finally meet a jazz musician that was making a lot of positive moves.  Onaje presented to me a box with many of his cd recordings.  I was so thrilled.  

We talked for quite awhile.  After that initial greeting Onaje and I would become musical friends.  I was just beginning this new opportunity of becoming a college radio dj and I had plans of interviewing Onaje and playing all of his recordings.  I was headed back to North Carolina with a passion and a purpose.   Over the fourteen years that I was at the college radio station I interviewed Onaje about five times on the air.  On most of my trips back and forth to New York I would try to squeeze in an interview with him if he was available.  I interviewed him for my cable access show a few times as well.  Onaje and I supported one another in our passion for music.  

I recall an unforgettable night at the legendary Lenox Lounge in Harlem, New York.  I came to New York during the holiday season and Onaje was scheduled to perform there.  I  called a friend and that friend invited another friend and we went to see the show.  Onaje did not know that I was in town so he was surprised.  Onaje and friends performed and that was the night I met jazz saxophonist T.K. Blue and legendary trombonist Benny Powell.  The evening was magical.  During our interviews which were serious conversations, I was privileged to hear stories of Onaje's life and about the people that touched his life as a musician.  

I learned how some of these people became lifetime friends of his.  I would learn a lot about jazz from him and what jazz music meant to him.  Onaje led with a very calming spirit.  I also recall time when I interviewed Onaje on the radio during a time when his friend singer Angela Bofill was not doing well.  He talked about their friendship and he wanted everyone to know about a fundraiser for her at the time.  I smile when I think about the time when I first introduced him on the radio show and mispronounced his name.  "Greensboro please welcome (Oh Nah Je") Allan Gumbs to the show".  Onaje said, "It isn't (Oh Nah Je), it is (Oh Nah Jay)" and I said "oh ok", (Oh Nah Jay)" we both laughed and we would continue to laugh about that for sometime.  Later on that day when we spoke I said "oh you had to do that on the air, you never did that while we talked on the phone".  He just laughed. 

Beside me having jazz music in common with Onaje we both experienced some of the same health challenges which we rarely spoke about.  Onaje will always be remembered for touching all of our lives with his spirit and his music.  I miss him dearly and I will always remember him on April 6th wherever I may be in the world. 


The Onaje Allan Gumbs and Sandra Gumbs Community Jazzarts Foundation's mission is to preserve the legacy of celebrated, world-renowned recording artist and jazz legend Onaje Allan Gumbs.

http://onajejazzarts.org      



                                            Onaje Allan Gumbs - Left Side Of Right 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helen Bruner and Terry Jones : 2nd Overture

 Super producers Helen Bruner and Terry Jones ( The Voices ) are riding high on the success of their new album 2nd Overture.  The new single “I Can't Call It” has been climbing the R&B charts.  The album was written and produced by both ladies with Helen playing most of the musical parts. The album represents a new turning point in their lives and is dedicated to both of their Mothers who played pivotal roles in their lives and musical careers. Both of the ladies have experienced the loss of their mothers who were dear to them.   " In essence, it is as if we are starting over with a different heart and mind creatively, not having my mom as an anchor - hence the title 2nd Overture", Bruner states.   The album has eleven tracks that dive into the topics of life, love, relationships and how to recover from the circumstances and changes that life brings to us.  Helen Bruner and Terry Jones are nominated for two Soul Track 2023 awards.  Album Of the Year and Duo/Group Of

Jay Hoggard: Raise Your Spirit Consciousness Album Review

      American jazz vibraphonist and composer Jay Hoggard is raising the spiritual consciousness with songs such as; Holy Spirit Consciousness, Peace To You My Children, Worship God in Spirit Truth and Love on Raise Your Spirit Consciousness album.  Raise your spirit consciousness has eight original compositions from Hoggard as well as recreations of original classics by Wayne Shorter, Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder and Thad Jones. Hoggard has played with other jazz vibraphonists throughout his career such as; Milt Jackson, Lionel Hampton, and Tito Puente.  " Holy Spirit Consciousness " has a jazz funk intro that leads into a spirit filled praise groove. Affirming with an Amen from Hoggard at the end of the song.  " Peace To You My Children " enters with a  high energy drum riff that leads into a soprano saxophone collaboration with the vibraphones which is electrifying.  Nat Adderly Jr. has a beautiful piano solo. Ends with a bang!  " A Child is Born "  i