Skip to main content

Jazz Guitarist Calvin Edwards, A New Outlook On Life


Jazz guitarist Calvin Edwards, born in Kings Mountain, North Carolina, now spends most of his time in the state of South Carolina surrounded by his family.

"My father, Hiawthia Edwards, was a pretty famous gospel singer" explains Edwards. At seventeen years of age he started out professionally with his father. 
While playing in his brother's band, The Jett Edwards Band, the brothers recorded two albums together. Edwards was a member of the original Five Blind Boys of Alabama. "After seeing me perform, they wanted me to play with them. I was with them for four or five years." says Edwards. 

Calvin has lived in Japan for over fifteen years during his career. "The people come out more to enjoy music, and it is pretty pricey. They have a safer nightlife, crime is less than over in the states. The people will go out if it means they will be safer", explains Edwards about the jazz scene when he was in Japan. 

In July 2000, The Calvin Edwards Trio performed at the twenty-sixth G8 Summit in Nago, Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. It was the first and only summit for Japanese Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori, and the last summit for President Bill Clinton. 

The trio performed for over twenty-five thousand armed forces of the military. "That is in the history books" boasts Edwards. Edwards, is a big fan of trumpeter Miles Davis, guitartist Grant Green, and guitarist Wes Montgomery, whom he calls the king of the chords and octaves, and he also loves the Coltrane vibe. His trio has performed John Coltrane songs such as Giant Steps, and Naima respectfully at his shows. 

Edwards was also instrumental in giving his support to the Friends of John Coltrane during their early developmental stages for the John Coltrane international jazz and blues festival. Calvin worked closely with Joe Williams, board member and event coordinator with the Friends of John Coltrane. 

In 2011, Calvin Edwards and his trio performed at the first annual John Coltrane International Jazz and Blues Festival. Their rendition of "Mo Better Blues", a song written by Branford Marsalis, turned out to be a huge crowd pleaser at the festival. The song is also featured in the 1999 musical comedy Mo Better Blues, written, produced and directed by Spike Lee.

 "I like what Branford Marsalis did on his spin. I like the song because it means, do better for your families, your churches, and do better for yourself. The song was fitting for the festival with four to five thousand people attending” says Edwards.

LSR: In 2018, the Calvin Edwards Trio performed at a benefit to support the research of cancer.  Is this a cause dear to you?
            
CE: Yes, because I am a two-time cancer survivor. I was first diagnosed with cancer in 2014, and in 2017 it returned. The surgeon removed thirty-eight pounds of cancer mass from me. I wanted to bring awareness to people about this type of cancer which is called Liposarcoma. For those that might be overweight, I began gaining a lot of weight, thinking I was eating a bit much. 

LSR: Where was the benefit held? 

CE: The benefit was held on the campus of Duke University, one of their concert halls. I wanted to show my gratitude towards the surgeon and the head nurses who provided excellent treatment. A severe thunderstorm dampened the guest list of over two hundred people that night, but the surgeon, his staff, and their families were all in attendance. 

LSR: You have been through so much in the past six years. How has life changed for you? 

CE: I have a new outlook towards life. I try to live each day as my last because you never know. Life is not promised to you. 

LSR: Do you have a new purpose in terms of playing your music? 

CE: No, my playing is still the same. I am still aggressive in my style, and my feelings are the same.

LSR: Have you slowed down on performing live? 

CE: No way. I am busier now than ever before. 

LSR: Even during this pandemic? What can you contribute that to?

CE: Yes, even during this pandemic because people are calling and wanting to hear my music. I do not chase the money, the money chases the artist. 

LSR:  Are you still performing in South Carolina?

CE: Yes. I am doing three to four shows monthly with the trio. We rotate from South Carolina, Georgia, and Shelby. 

LSR: Do you feel comfortable performing in venues at this time?

CE: Yes, I feel comfortable. I am very concerned about my health as well as the trio. The energy is still present. 

LSR: Do you mingle with the audience after your shows? 

CE: No, I am usually around for about fifteen minutes, then I leave. I do not stick around to have conversations anymore. 

LSR: Are the patrons required to wear masks at the venues that you perform at?

CE: Yes, they are. The trio also wears masks, and we are all socially distanced from one another.  We no longer have rehearsals, just ten minute warmups. Sound checks are just a waste of time. 

LSR: Where do you see the future for jazz artists performing live during these times?

CE: I think that the true jazz fans will still come out to hear good jazz. I think that the artist has to interact more with the audience, to make them feel more comfortable. 

LSR: With six cd’s under your belt, do you have any plans of recording anytime soon?

CE: Yes, I have some new material coming out this year, with hopes of recording as well. 

LSR: Can you say that you have more joy in your life now?

CE: Yes I can say that. I am around my children more. I was always on the road, living in Tokyo. I enjoy being with my family, and my brothers. I have lived the life of a jazz artist.  I have my players hat, and I play my music. I enjoy my family, barbecuing and fishing. I enjoy being around people, and will continue to have respect for all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helen Bruner and Terry Jones : 2nd Overture

 Super producers Helen Bruner and Terry Jones ( The Voices ) are riding high on the success of their new album 2nd Overture.  The new single “I Can't Call It” has been climbing the R&B charts.  The album was written and produced by both ladies with Helen playing most of the musical parts. The album represents a new turning point in their lives and is dedicated to both of their Mothers who played pivotal roles in their lives and musical careers. Both of the ladies have experienced the loss of their mothers who were dear to them.   " In essence, it is as if we are starting over with a different heart and mind creatively, not having my mom as an anchor - hence the title 2nd Overture", Bruner states.   The album has eleven tracks that dive into the topics of life, love, relationships and how to recover from the circumstances and changes that life brings to us.  Helen Bruner and Terry Jones are nominated for two Soul Track 2023 awards.  Album Of the Year and Duo/Group Of

Jay Hoggard: Raise Your Spirit Consciousness Album Review

      American jazz vibraphonist and composer Jay Hoggard is raising the spiritual consciousness with songs such as; Holy Spirit Consciousness, Peace To You My Children, Worship God in Spirit Truth and Love on Raise Your Spirit Consciousness album.  Raise your spirit consciousness has eight original compositions from Hoggard as well as recreations of original classics by Wayne Shorter, Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder and Thad Jones. Hoggard has played with other jazz vibraphonists throughout his career such as; Milt Jackson, Lionel Hampton, and Tito Puente.  " Holy Spirit Consciousness " has a jazz funk intro that leads into a spirit filled praise groove. Affirming with an Amen from Hoggard at the end of the song.  " Peace To You My Children " enters with a  high energy drum riff that leads into a soprano saxophone collaboration with the vibraphones which is electrifying.  Nat Adderly Jr. has a beautiful piano solo. Ends with a bang!  " A Child is Born "  i